Saturday 25 May 2013

Dreams

What do you want to be?
I remember when I was in grade 3, my then teacher asked us all in class what do we want to be.
I was 9 years old back then, I had no idea what I wanted to be, some wanted to be nurses, others police, and some teachers, finally the teacher asked me, and I was puzzled, not knowing what to say, I said " fashion designer". The teacher was so amazed and impressed, but did I really meant what I said?
I guess so yes, as I grew up I kept on changing my mind, in grade 7 I wanted to be a scientist, grade 9, a lawyer, grade 11 a politician, matric a philosopher, took a gap year in 2010 and I decided that I want to go for photography, later on that year, I wanted to be a journalist.
I couldn't make up my mind when I went to apply at UJ, so I went for teaching. Something that never even crossed my mind.

Do I really want to be a teacher?

Well, my first year at varsity was a mess, I got even more frustrated when we got told that we had to go for practicals. I wanted to drop out, I never imagined myself as a teacher, and it was never too late for me to start afresh.

But then I thought to myself, well, let me just give it a try. I passed my first semester modules, went for practicals in September and I enjoyed it.
And then I thought to myself, well, clearly this is what I want to do.
I love children, I want to change someone else's life, I want to be a role model to them someday, I want to pass on my knowledge to them,  in these small hands of mine, I want to produce doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc etc.

I really enjoy teaching, I want to be a determined teacher, not do it for the sake of doing it. I want to be a positive influence in the lives of those beautiful kids out there.
After a very long time, I realised that I haven't given up on my dream of becoming a fashion designer, it began with a small drawing of a wedding dress, everybody liked it including my mom, and then I went further by drawing atleast 5 pages of designs that crossed my mind.
The passion of designing grew even stronger, I decided to take tutorial classes and slowly I think I'm achieving that dream.

Now, a teacher who is a fashion designer, I like that. I'm planning on fulfilling my dream in 2016 by studying law, part time. Its never too late to chase your dreams. I want to be that successful woman with more than 3 degrees, I want to be able to label myself as "educated" one day. Brothers and sisters, get up and be what you really want to be! Time waits for no one.
We were having a debate with a friend of mine, don't know what it was about, fascinating enough, she asked, "do you know who's the most educated man in the world?" And I said, "no I don't, but whoever that man is, might be from Havard"
She said "well that man is Robert Mugabe". I was so puzzled, I went on google, and yes google confirmed it, it's him! With 7 degrees, two of them being masters. Well he might not be the most educated man in the world, but he surely is, in the whole of Africa.
Be the next most educated person in the list! Make your dreams come true. Cliche but honestly, its never too late!
(ie. The drawings are mine, but designs are Hayden's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment